[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Proxying in IIS

Jeff Dege jdege at korterra.com
Mon Oct 15 14:34:25 EDT 2007

(You sent this just to me, instead of to the list.  I'm CC'ing it to the
list).

First, I'm by no means the expert on this stuff.  But I'll give it a
shot.  Others can correct me, if I'm messing up.  (Though this is pretty
simple, getting-started kind of stuff, and may be within my competency.)

It sounds as if you're trying to plug the WMS server URL directly into
your browser, as given, and it's not working for you.  That's not a
surprise.  A WMS server needs a lot of complicated arguments appended to
the URL, and it doesn't return an HTML page, suitable for browsing.

If you want to display a map, using data from WMS server, you'll need a
map viewer - like OpenLayers.  Your browser should point to a web page
containing OpenLayers javascript code, and that web page should build a
layer using the WMS URL you are working with.

Look at: http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/wms.html

Then look at the code:

        function init(){
            map = new OpenLayers.Map( 'map' );
            layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "OpenLayers WMS",
                    "http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0", {layers:
'basic'} );
            map.addLayer(layer);

            map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(lon, lat), zoom);
            map.addControl( new OpenLayers.Control.LayerSwitcher() );
        }

This declares a map, and adds a WMS layer, using a WMS server at
labs.metacarta.com.

If you replace that url with the one you have (putting in the real
username and password), you should be able to get a start.

You may have to set the longitude and latitude to different values to
center the map where you want.

And the WMS server you're trying to access may not define a layer named
'basic'.

You can get a list of available layers by passing a GetCapabilities
request to the WMS server.  This will return an XML document describing
what the WMS server is capable of providing.

The URL for the metacarta site above is:

http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0?version=1.1.1&service=wms&request=Ge
tCapabilities

For your site, it would be something like:

http://username:password@image.globexplorer.com/gexservlets/wms?version=