[OpenLayers-Users] Internet Explorer whinge with OpenLayers code

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Oct 24 07:52:02 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 08:53:45AM +0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> For a while my Freemap site (free-map.org.uk) has been working fine in
> Firefox and Opera, but not working in Internet Explorer (isn't that always
> the way.....) Because the places where I have access to Windows do not
> allow me to ssh to the Freemap server, it's very difficult for me to get
> it debugged on IE. The IE debugger complains with this line (OpenLayers
> 2.2).... with an "Object does not support this property or method" whinge
> - something which normally occurs when you use unsupported W3C
> attributes/methods such as event.target. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Without looking at your page or your code, my guess is that your map
object is called 'map', and the <div id=""> on your map is also 'map',
and you're declaring your map object in global scope, so IE is resolving
'map' as a div object, and then attempting to assign new OpenLayers.Map
to it, which it can't do.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta