[OpenLayers-Users] Suppressing layers from being loaded

Jeff Yutzler jeff.yutzler at ionicenterprise.com
Wed Oct 31 16:55:05 EDT 2007

I have a Layer that renders feature data from a richly populated
datastore.  The problem is that at large scale, a Get Image operation is
expensive but I can't seem to prevent the Get Image operation from
occurring.  In an attempt to avoid the problem, I set {visibility:
false} in the options when I instantiate the layer object, but this had
no effect.  I have confirmed that the parameter has made its way to
div.style.display = "none".  However, I see that Firefox is still
attempting to load the image.  This is bad.  (FWIW, this layer extends
Grid, but this problem would presumably occur on any layer type.)

I have reworked things to not put this particular layer in the map, but
there are times where it would be nice to be able to do so.  Is there
any way to reliably suppress a layer from being loaded?

I'm working off of 2.4, but I do not believe anything has changed in
this area in the meantime.

Thanks.
-Jeff