[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers with liter Window Dressing (lightwindow)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Aug 30 11:36:47 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 08:46:57AM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:44:42PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
> >
> >> I have been able to get OpenLayers to work with lightwindow, which is
> >> based on prototype.js
> >> however ...  this is one of the heaviest libraries... others based on
> >> jQuery dont work due to incompatibilities of OL: with jquery..
> >> has anyone found a lighter solution which works with OpenLayers?
> >>

> > jQuery and OpenLayers can work fine together: it just requires a bit of
> > effort
> well thats not quite my definition of fine... if you  override JQueries
> $ then you have to track
> back whether it will still work with some library X derived of JQuery...
> and if not then
> you have to give JQuery an alternative $ (which JQuery has automated)
> and modify the other library to use...yes a little effort

Er, yes, I understand that. It's unfortunate that this is the case, but
it doesn't mean that "jQuery doesn't work with OpenLayers". You just
need to do "$ = jQuery.noConflict();"

Also, I think that any jQuery library which *depends* on '$' is probably
buggy. (So is any OpenLayers-based library that depends on "$", for the
record.) But of course that doesn't mean that no library is buggy in
this way.  *shrug*

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta