[OpenLayers-Users] Using a Google-like tile layer in OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Mar 3 09:23:05 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 11:35:18PM -0800, Coryat wrote:

> I've searched this forum and haven't found an answer to this question.
>
> I've written tile layers for the Google Maps API system and now I'd like to
> expand what I offer to use OpenLayers.

http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/UsingCustomTiles is designed to explain
how you can use Google-style tiles in OpenLayers. It is written with
OpenStreetMap support in mind. Note that OpenLayers 2.5 makes this
slightly more difficult, due to lack of client side reprojection: all
your units have to be in meters. In trunk, you can reproject from
lon/lat to meters easily.

> Has this been done before, and if so, what's a URL I can see it in action.

http://openstreetmap.org/ ,
http://openaerialmap.org/map/mercator.html
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/spherical-mercator.html

Christopher Schmidt