[OpenLayers-Users] Google-like tiles in an example

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Mar 5 11:05:11 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:43:56AM -0600, Erik Uzureau wrote:
> Chis, do you think it would be helpful if we added this or a similar
> example to the /examples directory?
>
> ...or is there maybe an example already there that does this?

Which part?

The spherical-mercator example shows how to use a custom function to
load tiles from a Google-like tile layout (via the OSM tiles, one of the
more widely used like-google tile layouts).

Having an example which shows all the various getLonLatFromPixel stuff
isn't so important to me (maybe others think it matters): I think we've
got a couple of those based on click events and so on already.

Reprojecting the center point from lonlat to spherical mercator is done
in a couple demos, but I suppose it could use an example of its own:
however, I'd likely want to make it better documented (more text) rather
than just more code, since 'more code' isn't the ansewr for helping
people understand the problem.

http://crschmidt.net/~crschmidt/spherical_mercator.html#reprojecting-points
is my solution for that, rather than an example, though I know that I
haven't pushed hard enough on it yet.

So, what do you think?

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta