[OpenLayers-Users] Mouseposition div

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Mar 11 09:55:41 EDT 2008

Andy Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an extracted all the javascript that is used for displaying the
> map into a separate .js file.  This works very well, the only problem
> being that, I cannot figure out how to set the mouseposition control to
> be in a separate div.  I initialize the control like so:
>
> map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.MousePosition({element: $('mydiv')}));
>
> where mydiv will exist on every page i use the map on.  As an experiment
> i include all the JavaScript contained within the external javascript in
> head section, and the MousePosition is displayed in the correct div.
>
> Is there a way to set the div for the mouse position if you are
> including the javascript to display the map as an external file ??

Andy,

Create an initialize function that executes your map initialization and
put the in your external file. Then

The problem you are having in that 'mydiv' has not been created in the
DOM yet when you execute the map.addControl... command above, but it
will be when the onLoad event is fired.

-Steve W
  http://imaptools.com/