[OpenLayers-Users] Displaying gml data

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Nov 16 15:30:33 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 08:24:43PM +0000, Dave Potts wrote:
> I have a xml data file with a load of deatils about buildings and their
> locations in described in as gml points.
>
> I would like to display these datapoint in openlayers,  I can already
> draw the points as a yellow circle but I want to be able to click on one
> these points and display some  information, also I like to draw the name
> of the location next the  yellow circle.

The first part is possible with a selectfeature control, as demonstrated
with the sundials.html example that we've been discussing in the email
thread you responded to.

The latter is not possible within OpenLayers trunk at this time.

> One solution is to use something smilair to GeoRSS example at
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/georss-markers.html, that would give
> everyhing that I wanted except a label,  but I get the impression that
> not what GeoRSS is designed for.

GeoRSS could be used like this. So could a Layer.GML with a
SelectFeature control -- and you get a lot more control over the latter
at the application level.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta