[OpenLayers-Users] Drawing a circle/callbacks/zoom in scale factors

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Feb 11 06:54:33 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:46:03AM -0000, David Potts wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I known this question been asked before, but how do you draw a circle
> using a google map background?
>
> My first attempt uses a vector feature with a style object, draws the
> circle looks great.

What is your goal? Something that looks like a circle on a mercator map
is not actually going to be a 'circle' on the ground, so if that's what
you're concerned about, then this doesn't make sense.

If this is what you want anyway, then the function you're looking for is:

  http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Geometry/Polygon-js.html#OpenLayers.Geometry.Polygon.createRegularPolygon

  http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/regular-polygons.html

the latter is demonstrating using the REgularPolygon drawing control,
but that uses the createRegularPolygon method internally.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta