[OpenLayers-Users] Google + WMS = misalign

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Fri Jan 8 15:58:05 EST 2010

>> The two basemaps are from someone else's server in EPSG:23031, and the
>> two overlays are from two more servers, one of them (Comerc) being our
>> own. Nice alignment, indicating that our definition for 23031 must be right.
> No, it doesn't prove that. It only shows that the transform from the other
> servers' projection  (23031) to yours is correct. And isn't your comerc
> server also in 23031? So no reprojection needed?

Comerc and Catastro are different servers; if their 23031 aligns
properly to ours, that's enough to convince me that they're correct.

But, I was given a solution by one of the client's other contacts, and
is it neat although slightly complex and a bit odd, and now it overlays:
http://eixos.planol.info/google/

The original solution was adapted from here:
http://delta.icc.es/ideLocal/IdecServ?codi=181609&tipus=L&schema=tempc

It seems to use elements that are not 100% kosher by OL's modern
standards. It declares the map's projection as EPSG:4326, modifies
OpenLayers.Layer.WMS to reproject the coordinates in the URL, and
doesn't use sphericalMercator but does use reproject:true. A weird set
of hacks, but apparently very effective.

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security

"No one cares if you can back up — only if you can recover."