[OpenLayers-Users] Problem with WFS proxy.cgi

paweluz paweluz at o2.pl
Tue Mar 2 14:06:59 EST 2010

Hi

What system do you use?? Win or Linux ?? If Windows I may help you...

I was dealing with this problem for about 3 days, and today I have finally
done it. I am working with:
- system Win 2000
- Geoserver standalone edition 1.6.4
- Python 2.6 - Yo have to install this  !! I have tins in folder
c:\Python26\python.exe
- I use tomcat 5.5 to deploy my application (I am using GWT)

Here are the steps - if you are going to do them properly I am sure your
problem be gone.
1. Instal Tomcat, Geoserver, Python,deploy your application
2. Rename servlets-cgi.renametojar to servlets-cgi.jar
3. Uncoment the CGI staff in the web.xml file in folder ...Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\conf\
and add some stuff ;) this should look like this

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.CGIServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
          <param-name>debug</param-name>
          <param-value>0</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
          <param-name>cgiPathPrefix</param-name>
          <param-value>WEB-INF/cgi</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>executable</param-name>
            <param-value>c:\Python26\python.exe</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>passShellEnvironment</param-name>
            <param-value>true</param-value>
        </init-param>
         <load-on-startup>5</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

    <!-- The mapping for the default servlet -->

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/cgi-bin/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

It should look exacly this same (exept the path to python of course).
4. Create folder cgi in folder yourappliction/web-inf/.
5. Create simple example.cgi script like this and copy it to the folder cgi
you have created before

#!c:/Python26/python.exe
import urllib2
import cgi
import sys, os
import urllib

print "Content-Type: text/plain"
print
print "Example of phyton file"
print "What to do?????????"

6 restart Tomcat and try to execute this script. The address is
localhost:8080/yourapplication/cgi-bin/example.cgi. It should work. Then
change the example.cgi to proxy.cgi. I know you should get openlayers.org
page, but don't worry... I did not get it but my WFS layer works great :) I
got an error like this:

Some unexpected error occurred. Error text was: <urlopen error [Errno 10060]
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly
respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because
connected host has failed to respond>

It was in my case, who knows what you get... Then in your page add the line
Openlayers.proxy=/cgi-bin/proxy.cgi - in firebug you should see the get
method and see if the address to proxy.xgi file is correct. Do not forget to
include allowed host and change the first line to #!c:/Python26......

I think this is it... try it and write if you managed to deal with your
problem ;)

Good luck,
cheers