[OpenLayers-Users] Save/Commit features using Protocol.WFS & php cURL Proxy

Ryan Williams rwilliams at paqinteractive.com
Tue Feb 21 10:57:17 EST 2012

Hi all,
I did some more research on why save features using the OpenLayers WFS
protocol was not working when I used a proxy file.
I worked with one of our web programmers here and we discovered the
problem was in the proxy file that uses php-cURL to pass the REQUEST
variables onto a Geoserver box.

The proxy file passed the contents of the REQUEST that OpenLayers sends
out - BUT, the 'Request Payload' is not in those REQUEST variables. So
we were only passing the url to Geoserver.
To pass the Request Payload onto our GeoServer using this proxy he
changed the php-cURL code so that it sends the $GLOBALS['HTTP_RAW_DATA']
as the POST fields.
like this:
$raw_data = $GLOBALS['HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA'];
  curl_setopt($request, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $raw_data);

Works great now!

- Ryan

On 2/17/2012 10:31 AM, Ryan Williams wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm setting up an OpenLayers map where the user can add, edit, and
> save features to a layer served by Geoserver. I've gone through a
> couple of the tutorials on how to do this and I've had it working
> quite some time ago when everything was running on the same server,
> but I cannot get it to work when I using an OpenLayers.ProxyHost
> I get "Could not determine geoserver request from http request..."
> back from geoserver.
> From what I've found so far, this is possibly due to some URI encoding
> or lack of encoding? Or possibly something wrong with Protocol.WFS?
> Andreas Hocevar had a response to a similar question about a year ago
> (https://getsatisfaction.com/opengeo/topics/_could_not_determine_geoserver_request_error)
> <https://getsatisfaction.com/opengeo/topics/_could_not_determine_geoserver_request_error>
> But, I'm not clear on the solution described there.
>
> All wms requests to geoserver work fine through the proxy except when
> I'm trying to save/update. Is this related to the POST data not being
> handled properly?
>
> I'm sure there's a solution to this but I haven't found it yet through
> searching.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> - Ryan
> --