[OpenLayers-Users] Open Layers best practices?

Vera Dobryanskaya vera_1971 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 13:43:24 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can point me to any "Best Practices" or "Suggested usage" resources for OpenLayers, specifically on extending the feature/geometry/styling objects for tailored visualization.

If not, here is more details on a problem I'm trying to solve:

I need to draw several lines on the map (know how to do), and have the lines styled so that start and end points have custom shapes (triangles, squares, external images, etc. - depending on the the data for the line).
The dataset potentially can be rather big, so I would like to use OpenLayers.Geometry.LineString objects and style the line ends appropriately, as opposite to both adding Lines and Points with custom graphics.

Currently, AFAIK, OL library does not seem to support SVG "markers" (e.g. http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/painting.html#MarkerEndProperty).

So, I was wondering what would be the best , "blessed", way to address my problem:

1. Via implementing custom geometry objects + implementing drawing methods in the Renderer for this custom geometry
2. Via extending Symbolizer class and adding required properties
3. Something else?

Thank you

Vera