[OpenLayers-Users] Print map to pdf

Greg Allensworth gregor at greeninfo.org
Thu Oct 25 09:20:53 PDT 2012

Purely on the client side, no, you can't print it. You will need some
server-side components.

One of our favorite approaches, is wkhtmltoimg and wkhtmltopdf
If you're interested, I just presented about this last week and the
materials are online:
     http://www.parkinfo.org/gregor/NACIS2012/

These are command-line tools, using the WebKit engine to read a
HTML/CSS/JavaScript document, and generate a static image or a PDF.
Basically, you write your OpenLayers code, save the resulting
HTML/JS/CSS to disk, then crunch it to generate a final PDF.

A down side here, is that the resulting map is browser quality. We've
also had issues with the images resulting from JavaScript (e.g. the map
itself) being of poor quality, so we often use a two-step process:
wkhtmltoimg one one HTML page to save the map as an image, then
wkhtmltopdf to embed that image into a final PDF.

--
Greg Allensworth, Web GIS Developer
BS  A+  Network+  Security+  Linux+  Server+
PH: 415-979-0343 x302  FX: 415-979-0371    email: gregor at greeninfo.org
Web: www.GreenInfo.org     www.MapsPortal.org

Subscribe to MapLines, our e-newsletter, at www.GreenInfo.org