[OpenLayers-Users] Sugggestions for implementing raster time series

xzam mail at maxstephan.com
Mon Oct 13 02:21:02 PDT 2014

Hi Victoria,

I have implemented something similar for a Raster Time Series for Drought
Monitoring data, embedded into a portal for visualizing and analyzing the
data.

The approach included:
*Time enabled Geoserver ImageMosaic:*
I know that this is sometimes a bit sensible, but for me it worked fine.
Which problems are you experiencing exactly? Did you make sure that your
regexp is matching the date in your raster file names (try on regex101.com
for example), is your database writeable and is there no preexisting table
for the image mosaic? Might be worth sending a mail to the GeoServer User
Mailinglist to work on them.
*Web interface based on OpenLayers and GeoExt/ExtJS (this can easily be
replaced by JQuery, probably also the easier solution):*
On load the interface fetches all the available dates and places them in a
datastore (I did this through a JSON file that contained all date entries,
dumped from the granule index in the database). Based on this datastore I
created a zoomable timeline that shows all entries, along with a slider and
buttons for jumping to the next, previous, first or last entry in the
timeline.
In case you select a specific time the "time" parameter of your time-enabled
raster layer needs to be updated accordingly.

If you want to animate your time series you would have to automate the
process of updating the time parameter (with a certain delay).
Generally I would implement some kind of Publish/Subscribe-model, i.e. you
have an event like "timeChange" that you publish to from your time slider
and from your animation function. The time slider, map and maybe the central
data store would subscribe to this event and would be updated accordingly
whenever the event is triggered. For example, you change your date through
the animation function which publishes the event "timeChange" with the new
date, which in turn updates the map view and the time slider.

Currently don't have code examples at hand, but I suppose there should be
some available on the internet.

Regards,
Max