[OWSLib-users] WPS ExceptionReport not detected when inside a ExecuteResponse

Roger Veciana i Rovira rveciana at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 06:06:01 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'm using the owslib wps client to test my pyWPS server. I force the
server to return exceptions, but I'm not able to catch them with
owslib when they are included in the ExecuteResponse.
An example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<wps:ExecuteResponse xmlns:wps="http://www.opengis.net/wps/1.0.0"
xmlns:ows="http://www.opengis.net/ows/1.1"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/wps/1.0.0
http://schemas.opengis.net/wps/1.0.0/wpsExecute_response.xsd"
service="WPS" version="1.0.0" xml:lang="en-CA"
serviceInstance="http://localhost/cgi-bin/wps?service=WPS&request=GetCapabilities&version=1.0.0"
statusLocation="http://localhost/wpsoutputs/pywps-134096800897.xml">
    <wps:Process wps:processVersion="1.0">
        <ows:Identifier>campModel</ows:Identifier>
        <ows:Title>Torna Un camp d'un model</ows:Title>
        <ows:Abstract>Donat el nom d'un model, un codi de variable,
uin codi de nivell, i una data de validesa, torna el camp que
toca.</ows:Abstract>
    </wps:Process>
    <wps:Status creationTime="2012-06-29T13:06:48Z">
        <wps:ProcessFailed>
            <wps:ExceptionReport>
                <ows:Exception exceptionCode="MissingParameterValue"
locator="variable" />
            </wps:ExceptionReport>
        </wps:ProcessFailed>
    </wps:Status>
</wps:ExecuteResponse>

I would expect to get the errors in the WPSExecution "errors" field,
but it's empty.

Looking at the source code, when parsing the response in the
parseResponse method, the code checks if the root node is
ExecuteResponse or ExceptionReport. The errors are only parsed if the
second case occurs, but my server returns an ExceptionReport inside
the ExecuteResponse.

Am I missing something?
Is the standard ambiguous (I see here that people doens't agree:
http://geoprocessing.forum.52north.org/WPS-ExceptionReport-in-ExecuteResponse-td3034568.html)?
Could the error parsing be included even when the response is an
ExecuteResponse containing an embedded ExceptionReport?

Thank you very much.