[pdal] Reading and Writing outside of a stage

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 09:54:15 PDT 2017

If you're using LAStools to write, then it doesn't seem like it really
makes any difference.  Your code can contain/invoke any function you want.
You're also welcome to modify the PDAL code to support your needs, but I'm
not sure that we'd integrate it into the distribution without some
discussion.

The functions are private because the calls necessary to ensure proper
functioning can be complicated and disallowing direct access eliminates
problems.  You need to invoke a bunch of private virtuals in order to make
things work, not just processOne().  It's also all that's necessary to
support the standard workflow.  Private virtuals provide a clear
implementation interface that would be broken if changed.

I suppose we could have a #define for the private virtual functions for
people who want to do what you're asking for.  I'm not sure I love it, but
perhaps I don't hate it, either.  I'm thinking about it.

This has come up before, and I think the model that was desired was the
same as yours.  I'd like to find a generic way to deal with it, but I don't
think that means making all functions public.  Writers can already be kind
of complicated, and I'm not sure how best to deal with it.  It's hard to
come up with a solution until you understand the problem.  Here are a
couple of things to think about:

- The current LAS writer can create multiple output files.  Do we want to
feed points to a single (complicated) writer and have it multiplex points
or do we want to attach multiple writers to an input stage?

- If you're creating multiple downstream stages, at what point do they get
created?  Are they created dynamically?  When?

- How do you decide how to route points to downstream stages?  Is there
code already in place for non-streaming mode that might simplify this?

Anyway, your question is a good one, but I'm not sure that I have an answer
that I love right now.  If you want to get going, just modify the PDAL code
to make the functions you need public.  Or better yet, make your own class
a friend of LasWriter (or even Stage) and then invoke whatever private
functions you please from the class you create.  That's only a single line
change to the existing PDAL code.

Hope that helps for now,

--
Andrew Bell