[pdal] Empty GeoDoubleParamsTag

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 10:30:54 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Farwell, Michael <MFARWE01 at harris.com>
wrote:

> Hey All,
>

> Using PDAL 1.5, I’m trying to decompress a LAZ file and then re-project it
> into UTM using the following pipeline:
>

> {
>
>   "pipeline":[
>
>     {
>
>       "type":"readers.las",
>
>       "compression":"laszip",
>
>       "filename": "/tmp/in.laz"
>
>     },
>
>     {
>
>       "type":"filters.reprojection",
>
>       "out_srs":"EPSG:32619"
>
>     },
>
>     {
>
>       "type":"writers.las",
>
>       "filename": "/tmp/out.las",
>
>      "minor_version": 2
>
>     }
>
>   ]
>
> }
>

> Since the minor_version is “2”, PDAL is using the GeoKeyDirectoryTag  to
> store the georeferencing information.  Unfortunately, PDAL is writing out
> an empty GeoDoubleParamsTag.

Is there any way to prevent PDAL from writing out this VLR if it’s empty?

Short answer: no.  I checked the standard and I don't see anything
suggesting this behavior is invalid, so if you have other software that
doesn't accept this input, perhaps it should be fixed.

That said, the change to not write empty GeoDoubles and GeoAscii VLRs is
trivial. Perhaps others have thoughts on this?

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com