[pdal] Merging buffered tiles

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sun Apr 29 08:19:32 PDT 2018

On 4/28/18 5:03 PM, Eric Robeck wrote:
> Is there a way within PDAL to merged buffered tiles with a constant buffer
> width, while filtering out only the buffers from each tile?
>
> For context, I am using an external software to modify a large point cloud.
> Due to memory constraints, I first tiled the data using the "splitters"
> filter, but included a 10 m buffer to minimize edge effects. Now that the
> data are processed, I want to merge them back into a single file.

You could use filters.assign to set a "buffer" value for the points that
are in your buffer ring (or the ones that aren't), and then use
filters.range to cull out points that have the "!buffer" classification
before you go back to merge them altogether. It would be laborious, but
you could get the job done.

Additionally, Connor Manning of Hobu demonstrated a workflow at FOSS4G
2017 [1] that is very similar to what you're doing except it is based on
Greyhound and Entwine for the data management (and PDAL for the
processing). The goal is to be able to put back information into an
Entwine tree and not be constrained by a fixed tiling scheme while
processing. It's all very much a prototype at the moment, but dynamic
workflows based on adaptive tiling schemes is something we are actively
working on.

Howard

[1] https://vimeo.com/245073446