R: Re: [pgrouting-dev] pgRouting render

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jun 22 16:32:30 EDT 2011

On 6/22/2011 12:58 PM, Daniele Russo wrote:
> My application is a desktop application, and I work on Fedora 14. How
> your web application works?

So as a desktop application you have to decide if you want to build the
UI based on a browser application using something like I did or if you
want to code it in C/C++ or some other toolkit based language.

I will describe my web application, but for another direction you need
to ask how to do generic things for whatever toolkit you are using.

Browser
   o OpenLayers
      o mapserver
         o render base map
         o render vectors from routing DB
      o ajax (PHP) to get route results
         o make route request
         o PHP gets request queries pgRouting
         o PHP formats results as XML back to OpenLayers
      o javaScript parse XML create route feature and populates directions

pgRouting does not currently do the driving directions. This is custom
code that I wrote for this application. I have explained how to do this
on the list so check the archives. You can look at the demo web page to
see how I glued OpenLayers and the Ajax requests together and in FireBug
you can view the XML streams of the Ajax request.

-Steve