[postgis-devel] Packaging PostGIS for Windows - which to choose?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 11:17:05 PDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to have some time to look at packaging the Win32 builds of
PostGIS this weekend, but I am currently unsure as to which route to
take with respect to GEOS/JTS.

My options are as follows:

i) GEOS v2
Quite long in the tooth now, but it works. However quite a few people
have reported back that GEOS v3 gives them better results.

ii) GEOS v3
A lot of people find that GEOS v3 gives better results with
the spatial predicates, however there hasn't been a new RC for over 6
months now and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of handling bug
reports or fixes, so the project currently appears stagnant :(

iii) JTS
There does appear to be several recent commits to the JTS connector in
the PostGIS source tree, however I've never attempted to
build JTS for Win32 before and so relative performance to GEOS v3 is
unknown. However, a lot of new features/optimisations tend to make it
to JTS first.

I'm leaning towards option ii) or iii), since with a major version
change it would be a good time to change the underlying libraries as
people will generally expect and check for changes in behaviour. Does
anyone else have any thoughts on what would be the best way forward?

Many thanks,

Mark.

--
ILande - Open Source Consultancy