[postgis-devel] possible st_estimated_extent improvement: use root of R-tree

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 14:27:40 PDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Sounds good, make it so! :) I think the devil is in the details, but I
> can't remember what the details are. Best wait until MCA weighs in.
>
> P.

Well I did actually come up with some code for this way back in the
mists of time:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2005-January/000791.html.
However, for reasons that are probably apparent somewhere in the
archive, I seem to remember there were some technical issues that I
thought didn't really make it worthwhile. But I can't remember what they
are at the moment ;)

ATB,

Mark.

--