[postgis-devel] St_Intersection on same table

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Apr 23 12:48:16 PDT 2010

Rafal,

This question is more appropriate for the PostGIS User's group rather than
the PostGIS developer's group.

To answer your question -- We are suspecting you will want to do a SELF JOIN
accompanied by a ST_Union, ST_Intersection, and/or possibly a
ST_SymDifference.

What is unclear to us is

If you have 3 polygons - lets say 1,2,3

1 intersects with 2
2 intersects with 3 (but not with 1)

What are you expecting to happen here?
A) intersection(1,2)  count 2, Intersection(2,3) count 2

Or

B) You don't allow the same geometry to be counted twice in which case
You throw out the whole thing  return the empty set

Or

C) You arbitrarily pick a set and return intersection (1,2)

----

D) Similarly we assume if you have a case where 1,2,3 all intersect then you
would return

ST_Intersection(ST_Intersection(1,2),3), count 3 ?

Or

Would you treat as a pairwise intersection

E) 1,2,3 x 1,2, 3 intesection resutling in  3 records with count of 2 each

1,2
2,3
1,3

Leo and Regina