[postgis-devel] Branch 2.0

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri May 18 02:36:14 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 04:33:48PM +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> I'd prefer to work against GitHub too, but I'm really confident with
> sync'ing both ways. I lack of knowledge about which workflow is best
> (yup, Git sucks giving too many ways to achieve same thing ;))
>
> I've only mastered mirroring SVN repo in Git.
> (my tool https://github.com/mloskot/pygit-svn-mirror).
>
> So, if anyone could make a Wiki with quick steps outlining the workflow
> for PostGIS devs using Git, that would be really helpful.

I think we decided that workflow doesn't change so it's still up to each
committer to directly push to SVN. How you get from GIT to SVN is up to you,
as long as the SVN history isn't polluted with useless Merge noise.

My suggestions:
 (0) start with a full clone from SVN (slower but easier)
 (1) avoid merge commits
 (2) svn rebase often
 (3) svn dcommit often

Problems will only arise when willing to publish development branches, due to
point (2) above, in that every rebase will change the history so would require
to delete and re-create the published branch (can't push an history re-write).
I don't see a clean way to avoid that (and no, git-only approach wouldn't fix
that either, except by polluting the history with all those merge commits).

--strk;