[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Mar 16 04:35:52 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 05:27:45PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>     Who are you?

A developer and researcher with a 3 years of commitment on a
'spatial machine' project (in Italy).

>     What are you using PostGIS for?

Vector repository.
Framework for spatial stored procedures implementation.

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?

GPL license.
OGC compliancy.
C language.
PostgreSQL extension (which I trust to be robust and flexible).

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

well.. all there is!

- reprojection

- && operator

- community support

- GEOS effort (off-topic?)

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

- Being unable to add/remove postgis from a running db.
  ( this would be often needed for upgrade)

- Missing front-end library ;)

- geometry_columns / real tables going out of sync whenever
  you try to do-it-yourself.

- GEOS being written in C++.