[PROJ] Coordinate transformations between different WGS84 reference frames

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Aug 4 08:35:01 PDT 2022

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa via PROJ <proj at lists.osgeo.org> writes:

> This message reports to Proj 8.2.1. I am trying to reproduce an
> exercise I conducted some years ago with Proj 6 (maybe 7) transforming
> coordinates between different realisations of the WGS84 ensemble. I am
> using this formulation:
>
> $ cs2cs EPSG:9053 EPSG:9057
> 20 10
> 20dN 10dE 0.000
> My recollection was cs2cs producing visible differences in the order
> metres. With the current version the output is unchanged transforming
> between these geodesic CRS. Do I need to use an additional parameter?
> Or am I missing something else?

G730 to G1762 should be far less than  a meter; the only really big
shift was TRANSIT to G730.  I'm going out on a limb and
will say it should be maybe 20cm.  See

  https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2018AGUFM.G33B0687K/abstract
  https://ascelibrary.org/doi/10.1061/%28ASCE%29SU.1943-5428.0000389
  https://www.researchgate.net/publication/360301499_Transforming_between_WGS84_Realizations

for a rigorous treatment.  [Insert standard rant about works by US
Government employees not being public domain]

You are only missing that what's in the literature and what's in the
EPSG database are not the same thing.

Can you rerun your old code, and provide a script that does all this, so
others can repeat the results?