[PROJ] Could you please explain me why I can't project RDN2008 (EPSG:6706) to ERTF2000 (EPSG:9067) or ITRF2000 (EPGS:8997)

Giacomo Cappellini giacomo.cappellini.87 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 08:10:33 PDT 2022

Thanks Even, thanks Greg.

I now understand why there are no proposed transformations from RDN2008 to
ETRF2000 or ITRF2000.
To get a better picture on the topic I downloaded the EPSG database and by
grepping the available transformations starting from RDN2008 I've confirmed
that "RDN2008 to ETRS89 (1)" and "RDN2008 to WGS 84 (1)" are the only
available transformations according to EPSG authority.

The only point I miss from the picture is the meaning of "ENSEMBLE". While
I can generally grasp how to move from a source Reference Frame to a target
Reference Frame, I fail to picture how to move from a Reference Frame to a
Reference System ensemble. I'd like to ask if possible a little more
details about the meaning of "we actually do that manually for the WGS 84
datum ensemble vs its realizations". The information I've reached so far
about RS ensemble says that "all but the highest accuracy requirements may
be considered to be insignificantly different from each other" and
"Datasets referenced to the various realizations may be merged without
change of coordinates":
- https://docs.opengeospatial.org/as/18-005r4/18-005r4.html#87
- https://docs.opengeospatial.org/as/18-005r4/18-005r4.html#53

Thanks,