[PROJ] Equirectangular/Equidistant Cylindrical

Andrew Patterson andrew at avenza.com
Thu Oct 13 06:31:36 PDT 2022

Even,

So while I was writing up the issue I realized I could probably provide
some simple code to help illustrate the problem, so I wrote some. Then I
realized I should really run it in our old app as well, which took a while
-- which is why you're reading this today rather than yesterday. But in the
course of doing this, I basically proved that PROJ is fine, so there's no
reason to create the issue. So false alarm!

Plotting on the maps is a two step process; coordinate transform via PROJ
from WGS84 to the map's projection, then run that coordinate through a
world-to-page (i.e. pixel) transform. The latter is *really* easy to test
so that's always the first thing I verify. Once that's been done, the
problem basically has to lie with the PROJ transform -- and this has been
true until now. I'm actually quite perplexed. If both parts of a two-part
transformation are fine, why is everything shifted? Something is hinky, but
that's my problem not yours, so I apologize for wasting your time with
this. I think I also jumped the gun because of problems with Equidistant
Cylindrical in the past, but for once, that project is innocent.

Again, sorry for the trouble!