[PROJ] Lowest Astronimical Tide reference surface in Geodetic TIFF Grid

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Thu Mar 16 09:34:42 PDT 2023

Hi PROJ mailing list,

I am making a Geodetic TIFF Grid for the transformation between ETRS89 and Lowest Astronomical Tide of the Netherlands (https://epsg.org/crs_9289/ETRS89-LAT-NL-depth.html).

So this Geodetic TIFF Grid is of the type "VERTICAL_OFFSET_GEOGRAPHIC_TO_VERTICAL". The description "geoid_undulation" seems unfitting, but if I choose something else like "lowest_astronomical_tide" PROJ doesn't accept it:
proj_create: Error 1029 (File not found or invalid): pipeline: Pipeline: Bad step definition: proj=vgridshift (File not found or invalid)
cct: Bad transformation arguments - (File not found or invalid)
    'cct -h' for help
Should I use the description "geoid_undulation" nevertheless, should I use something else for type instead of "VERTICAL_OFFSET_GEOGRAPHIC_TO_VERTICAL", or should I make a feature request to support a description name for "hydroid" models?

Another, thing I was wondering is how to deal with the difference between height and depth. Should the Geodetic TIFF Grid specify ETRS89 + LAT NL depth (EPSG:9289) as target CRS, so EPSG would only have to make transformation code and a tif equivalent of the transformation method "Geog3D to Geog2D+Depth (txt)" (https://epsg.org/coord-operation-method_1115/Geog3D-to-Geog2D-Depth-txt.html)? Or should the Geodetic TIFF Grid specify ETRS89 + LAT NL height (for which no EPSG code is available yet) as target CRS? I case of the latter, EPSG would need to make transformation code and an equivalent of the transformation method "Geog3D to Geog2D+GravityRelatedHeight (txt)" (https://epsg.org/coord-operation-method_1098/Geog3D-to-Geog2D-GravityRelatedHeight-txt.html), but also have to add an additional CRS code for LAT NL height, a Compound code ETRS89 + LAT NL height, and a transformation code LAT NL height to LAT NL depth based on "Height Depth Reversal" (https://epsg.org/coord-operation-method_1068/Height-Depth-Reversal.html).

Best regards, Jochem

Disclaimer:
De inhoud van deze e-mail is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
Gebruik, openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is niet toegestaan.
Op al onze producten en diensten zijn onze algemene leveringsvoorwaarden van toepassing
[https://www.kadaster.nl/algemene-leveringsvoorwaarden].

Disclaimer:
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
Our general terms and conditions of delivery apply to all our products and services
[https://www.kadaster.com/general-terms-and-conditions].