[PROJ] Lowest Astronimical Tide reference surface in Geodetic TIFF Grid

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Mar 16 10:42:33 PDT 2023

Hi,

Cf https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/issues/2739,
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/3010 and
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ-data/pull/76 for a similar case for Norway

Using VERTICAL_OFFSET_VERTICAL_TO_VERTICAL / vertical_offset isn't super
appropriate as this is intented for VerticalCRS to VerticalCRS but I see
that's what was used in the Norway case. PROJ isn't super pedantic about
that and just checks that geoid_undulation or vertical_offset are found
in the band description. Looking at the beloved GGXF draft
(https://raw.githubusercontent.com/opengeospatial/CRS-Gridded-Geodetic-data-eXchange-Format/master/specification/GGXF%20v1-0%20OGC-22-051r2_2023-01-09.pdf),
they have distinguished geoid and hydroid cases with a "hydroidHeight"
parameter, but ultimately the maths are the same. We could potential
extend PROJ to accept hydroidHeight as a valid band description name.

> Another, thing I was wondering is how to deal with the difference
> between height and depth. Should the Geodetic TIFF Grid specify ETRS89
> + LAT NL depth (EPSG:9289) as target CRS, so EPSG would only have to
> make transformation code and a tif equivalent of the transformation
> method “Geog3D to Geog2D+Depth (txt)”
> (https://epsg.org/coord-operation-method_1115/Geog3D-to-Geog2D-Depth-txt.html)?

That should be sufficient. That's what is used for the Norway case (for
the 'Geographic3D to Depth (Gravsoft)' method)