[PROJ] Lowest Astronimical Tide reference surface in Geodetic TIFF Grid

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Fri Mar 17 02:10:06 PDT 2023

ER wrote:
> I see that's what was used in the Norway case.

The documentation (https://proj.org/specifications/geodetictiffgrids.html) indicates that VERTICAL_OFFSET_GEOGRAPHIC_TO_VERTICAL should be used in case of 3D geographic input. And if one doesn’t read the documentation, but like me just runs the script (https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ-data/blob/master/grid_tools/vertoffset_grid_to_gtiff.py) to convert a .gtx grid to a .tif grid then one is not even aware there is a “geoid_undulation” description in the .tif grid. And if one finds this description (e.g. with gdalinfo), one might conclude that “geoid_undulation” is used loosely just like in EPSG, where all Geog3D-to-GravityRelatedHeight and Geog3D-to-Geog2D-GravityRelatedHeight methods mention:
“Geoid model is used loosely in the parameter name. If the offset is between the ellipsoid and the geoid then the offset will be the geoid separation N. When the offset is between the ellipsoid and a realisation of the geoid through a vertical datum then the offsets C will form a height correction surface. A height correction surface differs from a geoid model by small amounts due to the difference between the geoid and the actual datum surface as well as some other assumptions regarding the gravity field.”

To prevent users to make different choices in similar use cases, the documentation should indicate what to do for Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT) or other Chart Datum grids.

ER wrote:
> We could potential extend PROJ to accept hydroidHeight as a valid band description name.

That would make things more clear too. Would that apply to VERTICAL_OFFSET_GEOGRAPHIC_TO_VERTICAL as well as VERTICAL_OFFSET_VERTICAL_TO_VERTICAL then?

I am still a bit in doubt now what to do. Should I use VERTICAL_OFFSET_GEOGRAPHIC_TO_VERTICAL which seems more appropriate, or should I use VERTICAL_OFFSET_VERTICAL_TO_VERTICAL to prevent a situation where LAT / Chart Datum grids of different countries use a different choice?

Another question is if it is a good idea to add a Geodetic TIFF Grid for the transformation between the national levelling height system NAP and LAT of the Netherlands to EPSG? And should we add that instead of the ETRS89 – LAT transformation, or should we publish both in EPSG to shorten the number of transformation steps in PROJ?

Jochem