[PROJ] Lowest Astronimical Tide reference surface in Geodetic TIFF Grid

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Mar 17 05:41:49 PDT 2023

Cf https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/3668 +
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ-data/pull/97

> Another question is if it is a good idea to add a Geodetic TIFF Grid
> for the transformation between the national levelling height system
> NAP and LAT of the Netherlands to EPSG? And should we add that instead
> of the ETRS89 – LAT transformation, or should we publish both in EPSG
> to shorten the number of transformation steps in PROJ?

It is really up to you, the use cases you want to solve and also
depending on if EPSG has a policy regarding this.  PROJ can
automatically chain 2 GeogCRS->VertCRS transformation where the GeogCRS
is the same (e.g doing EGM96 -> EGM2008, and I believe it can also chain
a GeogCRS->VertCRS and VertCRS->VertCRS with a pivot common VertCRS.
That said explicit concatenated transformations in the registry can help it.