[PROJ] How is PROJ pronounced?

Dan Crosby dan.crosby at lincolnagritech.co.nz
Tue Mar 28 13:37:59 PDT 2023

I’m from NE England and I always mentally pronounced it to rhyme with dodge, with a short /o/ sound.

To me that’s not ‘correct’ because “Proj” comes from “Projection”, which I would pronounce with a long /oh/ sound.
However, it is correct because “Proj” is a noun. In typical English prosody with homonymic nouns and verbs,
the noun is pronounced with a short vowel, the verb with a long vowel.

e.g.:

record (noun) /ˈrɛkɔːd/ -  a thing constituting a piece of evidence
record (verb) /rɪˈkɔːd/ - the act of making a record J

Thus:

project (noun) /ˈprɒdʒ.ekt/ - an individual or collaborative enterprise that is carefully planned to achieve a particular aim.
project (verb) /prəˈdʒekt/ - extend outwards beyond something else