[Pywps-dev] copyright and authorship

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 12:11:11 PDT 2016

Hi Jorge,

thank you for your effort, more from my side lower

Generic feeling: this should be documented step and we as PSC should vote
on this and put the decision as official RFC, see
http://pywps.org/development/rfcs/

po 19. 9. 2016 v 4:00 odesílatel Mendes de Jesus, Jorge <
jorge.mendesdejesus at wur.nl> napsal:

> Hi to all
>

> I am looking at adding the copyright and authorship to the pywps code
> (headers on python code). I am currently working on my branch [0] and Tom
> suggested that I send an email for consensus on the topics bellow
>

> 1) Adding  GLP for pywps 3.2 and MIT for pywps4

+1

> On the branch pywps-3.2 ( is it also necessary on branch pywps-3.2.3 ???)
> I have added the generic GLP license [1] while on pywps4 the generic MIT
> [2]. There was already consensus that we have to jump from GLP to MIT.

We are not going to change history - we shall put it to 3.2 and make new
release (3.2.4) with the headers fixed

> Aside from license changes from GLP to MIT,  also there is a change of
> headers I included the author name on GLP (also see point 2) and then on
> the MIT I only have a generic "pywps project steering committee".
>

> eg GLP:
>

> # Author:    Jachym Cepicky
> #            http://les-ejk.cz
> # License:
> #
> # Web Processing Service implementation
> # Copyright (C) 2006 Jachym Cepicky
>
> e.g MIT
> # Copyright (C) 2014-2016 PyWPS Development Team, represented by
> # PyWPS Project Steering Committee
>
> Is this ok ???  Are people happy witih it ??? Jachym ??? This was more or
> less the headers used in one files

+1 from removing my name from everywhere, PSC is now *the* decision body

> 2) Authorship
>

> I have  looked at the code of pywps-4 code and in some files I have the
> authors name: eg:  Alex Morega,  when ever I found author information I
> have added as:
> __author__  = "Alex Morega"
>

> I like it since it is more pythonic, does anyone objects  this pythonic
> author naming and header structure [3] ???

Authors may change in the time. I would personally remove __author__ from
the header. If you want to know who did this, git blame will give you more
correct answer imho

> 3) Pywps 4.0 author claim (next weekend)
>
> I will set up a table with file name and authors, for people to comment
> and claim ownership. I am more or less assuming that if you haven't
> indicate your name in the code than the code was mainly done by Jachym.

:-) As I'm writing more upper, I do not think, __author__ is  relevant info
- in some projects, there can be less then 5% of the original code done by
the __author__

> 4) I have added some indication on XML/HTML/Javascript what license is
> being used, I was wondering if this is also necessary for templates and
> other text files ???

We (me and Tom) agreed, that the docs could be creative commons, other
files (templates, ...), if part of the code, should have license info too

> 5) I will pass all code in flake8 and fix it

+1

Thank you!