[Qgis-community-team] Re: more latex questions

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Wed Jun 4 12:44:11 EDT 2008

Thomas- the latex source is maintained in the QGIS SVN repository on the
osgeo server.
The details are on the wiki - unfortunately that part of the website
appears to be down still.
If you are interested in assisting with the documentation (and we would
be very happy to have you do so), you will need SVN access.
The process starts with an osgeo account, then you send an e-mail to
Gary Sherman (sherman at mrcc.com) requesting SVN access. There is actually
a formal procedure involved, but again it is on the wiki...

RE: the error messages from a TexMaker run - a procedure which solved
many, but not all, of the problems was to use the makefile through MSYS
instead of TexMaker. Details are on the wiki....

On the MikTex installation, I tried the basic package first, and it did
install a number of missing packages, as you point out, but it did not
pick up at least one required style file. Since I wasn't sure how many
such files would have to be manually installed, I chose to take the
route of installing the complete package. If someone has the inclination
to verify what packages have to be manually installed and provide
detailed instructions for downloading them and installing them, then we
can also add that as an option. Alternatively, we can add the missing
files to our repository.

Tara

Thomas Becker wrote:
> Hi Tara,
>
> I would like to get my hands on the sources for the documentation.
> Is there a way to download the LaTeX sources including figures and the
> appropriate *.bib files.
>
> My first guess according the undefined citations is a missing Bibtex run.
>
> It would also help to add:
>
> \listfiles
>
> add the beginning of your document (even before \documentclass). This
> would list all the packages and there used version at the end of the
> log file.
>
> Thanks, Thomas
>
> btw: You do not have to install the whole MikTeX. What I did while
> working on Windows was just a minimal installation and set the
> installation of packages to auto. MikTeX has a well maintained package
> repository and as soon as it realize a package is missing it looks at
> the repository to find it and to install it on the fly or after you
> granted permission.
>
> Tara Athan schrieb:
>> After installing the complete MikTex package (12 hour download, >1GB
>> installed #$@&!!!) I managed to use TexMaker to compile the manual,
>> sort of.
>>
>> It shows 110 errors, mostly missing graphics, and a total of 295
>> errors, warnings, badboxes, etc.
>> It is full of undefined citations.
>>
>> I have attached the log file, if anyone with more experience with the
>> manual, latex, TexMaker, ... would like to look at it and advise me.
>>
>> Thanks, Tara

My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.
OK'ing the return receipt lets me know that my message was delivered.
Thank you.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan [AT] alt2is.com
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470