[Qgis-community-team] manual conventions

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Wed Jun 4 13:13:12 EDT 2008

Hi Tara,

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 01:12:59 -0700
Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com> wrote:

> I have added a subsection to the Forward (in the Manual) to define style
> conventions, and implemented the styles in the Getting Started section.
> The conventions are defined as macros, so that we can easily change a
> convention and have it be uniformly applied throughout the manual.
> Examples are Buttons, Menu Options, text input by users and so on. Also
> included are macros that apply to instructions that are
> platform-specific- see the Starting QGIS section for a demonstration.
>
> The actual styles are placeholders- we can modify them to provide better
> visual cues to the reader. For example, we can add icons for the
> platform-specific instructions. At present the \tab macro is just a copy
> of the \button macro, but someone (with more latex experience than I)
> might write a style that looks more like a tab.

> * For this to work, we need all sections of the manual to be updated to
> use these macros.
> * Would anyone like to volunteer to update a section (4-13) or appendix
> (A-H)?
> * We may find a need for additional macros as we go through the rest of
> the sections- please let us know if you
> * find a situation that doesn't fit into any of the existing macros and
> we will add a new one to the list.

> * Would anyone like to improve the macros? When I compile, (on Windows)
> I have missing font problems so I can't really
> * tell what it looks like. Ideally, the manual item should look very
> similar to the GUI item.

I found some more macros provided by the fancybox package and added them to
conventions.tex: \fbox, \shadowbox, \doublebox, \ovalbox and \Ovalbox. I also
tried to use them, this is really difficult to make them look similar to the
GUI items. Maybe the \shadowbox is useful for clickable buttons?

regards,