[Qgis-community-team] conventions

Stephan Holl stephan.holl at intevation.de
Fri Jun 6 02:08:07 EDT 2008

Hello Tara,

Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com>, [20080605 - 07:46:11]

> After looking at Otto's revision, I think I have not been clear about
> which macros apply to which  GUI items.
>
> \button  - I was thinking of this one to be used when the button has
> no icon, just text. Save As Default is a button that appears in the
> Layer Properties dialog. So to reproduce the appearance of the
> version 0.10 GUI, it would have text inside a box with slightly
> rounded corners, with a shadow to indicate it is clickable. The fill
> is a gray gradient - I don't know if this is reproducible in latex.
>
> \toolbtn - I was thinking of this one for the icons that appear in
> the toolbars. Per earlier e-mail, this should perhaps have 2 required
> arguments, the icon and the label (tooltip). The icon would have the
> shadow, since it is the clickable part, and the tooltip could have a
> yellow fill. For this to work, we need to have all the GUI icons
> present in the image folders. In a very quick check, I could not
> find, for example, the print icon, unless it appears under another
> name.
>
> \toolbox - This was intended for GRASS tools. In skimming through the
> toolbox, I see that many tools are indicated by multiple icons, such
> as the conversion tools. So perhaps this macro requires multiple
> versions to accommodate different numbers of icons. The whole line is
> clickable, so it would have a shadowbox around all the icons and
> label.
>
> \menuopt - There are two kinds of menu options - the first level has
> no icons (like File), the second level sometimes has icons  (like New
> Project). Do we need a second menuopt macro (menuopt2 ?) that also
> requires the icon? I am inclined to NOT include the shortcuts in the
> macro, even though they appear in the GUI. We can leave it to the
> writers choice whether to mention the shortcut, using the keystroke
> macros.
>
> On a more general note, I am thinking that the appearance we should
> try to reproduce is the non-hover version, because if a new user is
> scanning the GUI for something that looks like what they see in the
> manual, it would be misleading to show an appearance that would only
> match if they were hovering on the right item already.  So I am
> thinking for a menu option, such as File, we could have a shadowbox
> with gray fill and no outline.
>
> I haven't made any of these changes yet - please let me know what you
> think. Also, it would be helpful to know if the appearance will be
> dramatically different in the version 1.0 GUI (Tim?)

Now I have commit-rights but I need to rework the chapters 4-7 to
reflect the latest changes in the conventios.tex.

Please be a little patience with me since I cannot work on that before
monday. I will do my best to get it out asap.

Cheers

	Stephan

--
Stephan Holl <stephan.holl at intevation.de>, http://intevation.de/~stephan
Tel: +49 (0)541-33 50 8 32 | Intevation GmbH | AG Osnabrück - HR B 18998