[Qgis-community-team] dialog, toobtn macro and icons

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Thu Jun 5 10:25:42 EDT 2008

Hi Tara,

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 06:56:35 -0700
Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com> wrote:

> Re: dialog macro
>
> Let me see if I understand:
>
>  >a tool button would be things like Pan Map or Zoom In, where the
> result of clicking includes changing the mouse icon, or Zoom Last, where
> the result of clicking triggers an immediate action.
>
>  >a dialog would be things like Print, that open a popup for further
> entries.
>
> *** Is this correct?

Yes you are right and I understand your point, but finally for the user both is
a button to click on and maybe it would make sense to keep it simple and only
demonstrate in the manual "This is sth in QGIS you can click on".

I don't know, but I could imagine, that people reading the manual find it
helpful if there are only a few macros. Otherwise they might not be able to
remember them anyway and we get a problem, because there aren't so many
different nice styles available ;-).

> At present, these items have a similar appearance in the GUI -
> *** could that conceivably change in the future?
> If so, it seems like a good idea to make a separate macro.
>
> The current appearance of both is an icon and a tool tip. The icon is
> the permanent part of the display and the tool tip only appears with a
> hover, so I would think it is important to include the icon. Presently,
> only the toolbox macro is set up to require an icon.
>
> *** Should we also change toolbtn to have two arguments, one for the
> icon and one for the label?

yes, we can, but then we could also just delete one macro and say toolbtn and
toolbox is the same - or not? While updating the text I was also sometimes
insecure to define the correct macro.

It is difficult and we need to define it precisely. I would suggest we use only
a few macros, because I have the impression it would otherwise be more confusing
than helpful?

 Otto