[Qgis-community-team] Re: [work] [Qgis-release-team] Re:
[Qgis-developer] QGIS 0.11.0 feature freeze
tara_athan at alt2is.com
Thu Jun 19 20:54:24 EDT 2008
Documentation writiers -
Some developers are protesting the GUI freeze at the present time.
I can understand the desire to have a feature freeze before the GUI is
What do you think is a reasonable time period to allow for updating the
English manual after a GUI freeze?
All, or most, screen shots must be created after the GUI freeze, but I
think a lot of the text can be prepared in advance.
I am guessing that the English documentation update can probably be
accomplished within a 1 month period if, as we are planning, we get all
the macros, templates, datasets and so on, set up in advance.
PS. I am already behind on my promise to have the datasets ready by June
15th and I don't think I will be able to get them ready before the first
week of July due to work/school/family requirements.
Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi Tom
> I sent out a message on 26 May (see "Release plans for QGIS 0.11.0 and
> on to 1.0") in which I mentioned my intention to revise the uis and
> then freeze them with the exception of the labelling and composer. I
> believe there were other messages in a similar vein but I havent done
> a detailed search. Perhaps I did not draw enough attention to this for
> which I aplogise.
> With the release of QGIS 1.0 targetted for mid August, the time from
> release of 0.11.0 for 1.0 will be just over a month. We were hoping to
> make the GUI frozen from after 0.11.0 so that the documentation team
> can have a fair chance to get their work done without working against
> a moving target. The alternative option is to ask them to wait until
> mid august before updating screenies etc. and plan to release the
> documentation at some point after that (ideally in time for FOSS4G).
> I did quite a bit of overhauling of the UI's over the past month,
> replacing buttons with QDialogButtonBox etc and generally cleaning up
> the layouts of dialogs. Perhaps a good way forward would be to
> enumerate which dialogs that you feel still need revision and ask the
> docs team to hold off their work until they are revised.
> With QGIS 1.0 being so soon in the future we are going to have to get
> to the point where we say 'what we have will have to do', or seriously
> reconsider whether it is possible to release 1.0 in August. I know
> Gary feels particularly strongly that we should 'get it out' in time
> for FOSS4G and I suspect plugin writers etc would like to see the API
> frozen sooner rather than later.
> Yet another alternative I guess is to skip 0.11.0 release and extend
> the open season until say end of July.
> Anyway, I look forward to suggestions from you and the community as to
> how you would like to proceed with the release schedule
> Best regards
> 2008/6/16 Tom Elwertowski <telwertowski at comcast.net>:
>> Tim Sutton wrote:
>>> - We are implementing a GUI freeze as of today (as part of QGIS
>>> 0.11.0 release process) and extending up to QGIS 1.0 so that
>>> documentation team have ~2 months lead time to get the documentation
>>> ready before QGIS 1.0,
>> This is the first I have heard of a GUI freeze extending up to QGIS 1.0. I
>> am STRONGLY opposed to this. I do not think the GUI is ready for release and
>> was expecting the final release cycle leading up to 1.0 to be a time to
>> improve the interface without worrying about new features.
>> Major announcements such as this should be made at the beginning of a cycle
>> so that anyone with issues has some time to do something. Since there was no
>> prior notice, I would like to see a GUI review during the time leading up to
>> 0.11.0 with changes resulting from this review to be added during the first
>> two weeks after 0.11.0.
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG.
> Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.3.0/1504 - Release Date: 6/15/2008 5:52 PM
My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.
OK'ing the return receipt lets me know that my message was delivered.
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan [AT] alt2is.com
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470
More information about the Qgis-community-team