[work] [Qgis-community-team] website - ideas/questions

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Mon May 19 11:43:54 EDT 2008

Here's a plain text version of my previous message - I hope this is more
clear.
Tara

Re: content for new users
There are such items, such as Features, but they do not jump out at the
new user.  I agree that a major reorganization is due.

Re: scrolling issues
I don't have this problem myself but with smaller screens and lower
resolutions it is a problem.

Re: menu structure
I like to use two menus, one for one-click items such as
Contact Us
Calendar
Site Map
Using a menu provides a compact way of having these capabilities on
every page.

I like to use a second menu for topics with sublevels. The joomla "Top
Menu" does not work well for hierarchical menus because you cannot
expand the menus (at least as far as I have been able to figure it out-
I haven't tried Joomla 1.5 yet), so the "Main Menu" would be a better
choice. This tends to force a 3-column layout, with the expandable menu
on the left, main panel in the center and modules on the right.

Re: which modules are necessary
If the target audience for the frontpage is the prospective user, then
Developer Blogs, Syndicate and Blog News are probably not of immediate
interest. but the others could be of interest?

Re: Categories and Finish Publishing Dates
There are a lot of items in the News Category that would be worth
keeping on the site for longer periods, such as the interviews.
When you reorganize, you could have separate categories for these items.
Then the number of news items might seem more reasonable. If the
usefulness of an item is clearly going to expire after a certain time,
it should have a finish publishing date. If the Author doesn't enter it,
then the website administrator could take that responsibility, IMO.

Re: Backup Component
Gary Sherman was reluctant to have third-party components installed. I
understand the site was cracked at one point due to a vulnerability in
such a component. However, not having a backup capability is a major
vulnerability as well. Perhaps Gary will agree to the use of a component
for this purpose. It should be mature and well-maintained, and kept
up-to-date by the website administrator.

Re: Security Issues
For one thing, there is still a Super Administrator account with a
non-secure name.