[Qgis-community-team] Website Management/TODO

Stephan Reber stephan.reber at sr-gis.de
Sun May 25 10:10:20 EDT 2008

Hallo,

first I must say sorry. There was to much work out in the field last
week, so I couldn't take part in the discussion.

After I read your answers, I see the following points as the main tasks
for the website:

    * Rearranging the menus. Giving the content in the front end a more
      intuitive structure.
    * Sorting out and rearranging the modules. The modules we need can
      be ordered to the adequate menu point.
    * Deciding which joomla version should be used (1.0/1.5)
    * Rearrange content: Giving the content in the back end a more
      intuitive structure by adding more sections/categories.
    * Searching a template/adapting the style.
    * Searching a working backup tool.

These points I will add to the wiki TODO list.

I like the idea of a more simple website, as Tim suggested. I think the
website can deliver the main information about QGIS and point to further
information (tutorials, documentation,...), which can be placed in the
wiki. When we know the main content of the site, we can put the menus
together.
I would prefer the the migration of to joomla 1.5. After I have read the
article Otto sent in his email, I prefer it even more. The point is for
me, that the migration to OSGEO is the right time to rearrange the
website and then move to a cms with a longer lifetime. Other points are
it is faster (as Werner wrote) and the back end is easier to use.
If we decide to migrate to joomla 1.5, it can be necessary to search a
new template. Some old templates can used under joomla 1.5 by enabling a
legacy mode. But this means to eliminate one of the benefits of joomla
1.5 - the site is slower. Maybe we can change the style of the template
for a consistent design (referring to the logo or other related sites
(blog,wiki,forum)).

The backup tool I used for the migration to 1.5 was only for this
purpose. It works only under joomla 1.0 and delivers a sql-statement for
the import to joomla 1.5. So it is not for a general backup use. But a
working backup tool is required. I think, we must accept some 3rd party
modules, especially in this point. Though it means more work to keep the
system up to date.

It is great to have a place for putting the website together. I was a
little worried about changing the website, while it is online.

Have I anything forgotten?

regards
Stephan