[Qgis-community-team] help with manual revision

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Tue May 27 06:12:52 EDT 2008

Hi!
> If you comment out the hyperref line at the end of qgis_style.sty
> the error disappears.
>
> BTW if you use pdflatex instead of plain latex you can also uses the
> PNGs and JPGs directly, without the need to create eps first - and I
> think PDF is our main target anyway...

Unfortunately I can't agree with you, as a fresh checkout of the manual
and commenting out the hyperref line at the end of the .sty leads me to
a lot of not found graphics like

Package hyperref Warning: No destination for bookmark of \addcontentsline,

(hyperref) destination is added on input line 2.

! LaTeX Error: File `qgis_icon_new_verylarge' not found.

Type H <return> for immediate help.

! LaTeX Error: File `startup09' not found.

Type H <return> for immediate help.

so i guess somehow the pdflatex also needs the .eps files (i made the
same experience while writing my diploma thesis).

But with one thing you're completely right.. commenting out the hyperref
line and running plain latex on it (not pdflatex) compiles with no error
(assumed that you have prepared the .eps files) in TexMaker with MikTeX
on Windows and thats fine.. Also the DVI->PS is working nice..

but everything only once you have prepared the .eps files (and - i just
found out that the Makefile also copys all the .eps files in a new
directory called finalpix - so they have to be there) afterwards
everything works fine under windows too. the finalpix directory has
92.7MB :(

is there any way to make that windows compliant?
 the finalpix dir seems to be very important and is created on the fly
by the Makefile - so again no chance for windows user without installing
MSYS and basic *NIX knowledge..

regards
Werner

P.S.: not that you think I'm windows enthusiastic - but my opinion is to
make it as easy as possible to contribute to translation and manual..
And if one can't follow to compile the manual on the own computer -
there's no way to send patches to Tara or commit themself. If the
majority here thinks that my mind is missleading me (maybe it should
only be possible for certain persons with all knowledge to compile the
manual and prepare the pdf for download to the enduser) please let me
know and I stop the tests I do here.