[Qgis-community-team] Re: [Qgis-release-team] release team meeting logs (20080523)

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon May 26 22:33:05 EDT 2008

Hi

I'm going to cross post here since I think its an interesting
discussion for both teams...

Em May 25, 2008, às 4:54 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde escreveu:

> Hi release team,
> sorry sorry, I missed our 'appointment', was rather busy that day
> without a pc around...
> Read the logs, and all is clear.

Good, no problem.

> I got a question though about the 'relation' between the release
> team and the community team.
> Isn't there some 'overlap'? Like isn't the blog and communication
> around a new release (== the work WE do :-) ) part of the work of a
> 'community team'?

Yes I see this potential overlap too and since the two teams are
newly formed, my inclination is to just proceed with what we are
doing and if needed we can adjust course if the overlap becomes
problematic. However as I see it, the community team is more focused
on documentation, web properties management, project infrastructure,
where as we are very release focussed. So e.g. the community team may
be able to help with getting our press releases posted etc, but it
will still be down to us to actually write them up, create
screenshots, decide when the press info should go out etc. Otto may
have some thoughts on this too, and I also realise that some members
in the two teams may contribute to both teams (e.g. translating
release announcements etc).

> And if so, what (besides the coding/packing etc stuff) is then the
> responsibility of the community team?

Do you mean the release team? I got a bit lost... Basically I see it,
the release team's job is to :

- plan releases
- oversee each release cycle from start to finish
- ensure that releases are publicised
- ensure packages arrive at download site
- ensure people can be informed about new features / improvements
with each release

Otto can better help with the community team responsibility, but my
understanding is that they are going to be looking at things like:

- updating documentation
- managing translation of documentation
- managing translation of qgis app
- managing (server admin and site admin) qgis web properties (forums,
qgis.org, wiki etc)
- probably more things that I am forgetting here

Once the two teams have 'found their niches' properly I think we will
have better comfort zones about where each teams responsibilities
start and end.

> Just curious, not offense to one of both teams ;-)

No I think its a valid question and no offense was taken by me
anyway....

> By the way, I really have had troubles with the 'blog'-site by the
> way, that part is not revisited?

Urf that blog hates me too...I think for this release what we should
do is just prepare the web copy and then either ask Gary or (if
appropriate) a community team member to post it onto the blog when we
are ready to go...

Regards

Tim