[Qgis-community-team] please vote for graphic implementation

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Mon Aug 27 04:29:24 PDT 2012

Hi,

Am Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:50:42 +0200
schrieb Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com>:

> Hi
>
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>
> wrote:
> > On 08/24/2012 07:03 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Larissa&  co!

> > Thanks Larissa, for all your work!
> >

> >> Yes excellent work, really fantastic. About the image paths, did you
> >> find a viable way to replace the /en/ locale from them? We got a quite
> >> good system in place for the QGIS training manual we have been working
> >> on (http://manual.linfiniti.com). In our case we removed the /en/ from
> >> the path and rather swapped out the entire img dir based on the
> >> locale, using a bash script when we compile the docs.
> >

> > +1 for removing language dependencies from the sources of the docs
> >
> > Also because most doc-makers (people creating either pdf or a doc
> > website) mostly always do that for one or at most a couple of languages.
> > So creating a 'symbolic link' to the right 'language image dir' (like
> > apache config does with their 'available' and 'enabled' sites) could
> > (for a simple setup) already be enough?
> >

> Yes we did something like this:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Training-Manual
>
> As you can see each image dir is underscore prefixed. Then we run:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Training-Manual/blob/master/pre_translate.sh
>

> To update the translation strings to make them available to translators.
> Then
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Training-Manual/blob/master/post_translate.sh
>
> To build the translated html/pdf for each locale - in the process of
> which if manipulats the image dir names so that the current local
> image dir is picked up by sphinx.

ok, good ideas. for Larissa the next step means to update the figure
definitions, and according to the training manual, we would create a folder
_static_en for the english figures and put all figures there before she
starts. If Larissa wants to update the figure definitions to "version 2" as
described in her Email she would use e.g. ./plugins/_static_en/loadgpx.png
instead of img/en/plugins_gps/loadgpx.png - right?

A note: In the manual we still have all figures splitted in subfolders like

./plugins/img
./introduction/img

the Training Manual only has one level. Should we also change that in the
repo? - put all rst files and one _static_en under ./source?  And then all
translations under ./translated/<language> and additionally for the
figures add a _static_<language> folder?

I would like to get Larissa started for the update of the english manual to
version 1.8. It is not about translation yet, but it seems to me, we need to
make some fundamental changes to the repo structure before. Do I understand
it correctly?