[Qgis-community-team] Transifex pull but no translations

Diethard Jansen diethard.jansen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 11:24:35 PDT 2013

2013/3/24 Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com>

> Hi Diethard
>
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Diethard Jansen
> <diethard.jansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Werner,
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I like the online translation with transifex and I
> hope
> > we have soon sorted out the full workflow. Then I will help to document
> it,
> > because although it becomes easier for the translators, for the language
> > coordinators who make sure documents are properly translated it is still
> > pretty tough.
> >

> I was able to pull your changes using the following syntax:
>
> tx pull -f --language nl -r  qgis-documentation.v1-8-docs-foreword
> --mode translator
>
> I don't think the translator mode is really needed. You should be able
> to pull all resources using:
>
> tx pull -f --language nl
>
> While we are learning our way please make backups of your local work
> and check carefully the changes pull to make sure they are valid. From
> my diffing it looks like you removed some latex markup in the changes
> and so all seems fine. I don't know all the nuances yet - like why
> were are required to force the pull in some cases - I will update on
> the list as I figure these things out.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> > Regards,
> > Diethard
> >

> > 2013/3/24 Werner Macho <werner.macho at gmail.com>
> >>
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Transifex is quite new in our workflow and I am sure it will take some
> >> time to integrate it well..
> >> I know that might not help right now but those little bugs are helping
> in
> >> making the workflow better ..
> >>
> >> I am reading transifex documentation to find out how to deal with
> >> transifex .. maybe I'll be enlightened later :)
> >>
> >> kind regards
> >> Werner

> i18n/nl/LC_MESSAGES/docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/ogc_client_support.po).

> it
> ogc_client_support.po was

> changes)

> doing

> --
> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
>  * QGIS programming services
>  * GeoDjango web development
>  * FOSS Consulting Services
> Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Hi Tim,

Thanks, it works and yes we indeed have to be very carefull. Rather many
translated sentences were indeed missing in action.. So I did not commit
all the changes, but I first used another very usefull -f git statement
instead:
git checkout manual_en_v1.8 -f

Before tx pull I had 111 translated sentences in features.po afterwards I
had only 19 translated sentences left, which was indeed the same amount as
on transifex.
Mind you this was only in one file.. So it seems we are losing rather a lot
of translation when uploading files to transifex.
I think it is good advice to first retrieve 1 file at a time from transifex
(only fully translated files).

Brilliant argument -f.

I thought it was needed in tx pull statement because of the last line in
.gitignore:
i18n/*. But when I temporarily removed it it still was necessary.

Regards,
Diethard.