[Qgis-user] Re: [Qgis-developer] Properties dialog too big for small displays (eee PC display)

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Mar 1 05:58:17 EST 2009

2009/3/1 Agustin Lobo <Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es>:
> Yes! This is useful, as the problem was that I could
> not reach the bottom of the dialog.
>
> Anyway (for devs), could not it be
> possible making the windows so that could be resized to smaller
> sizes in future releases?

 There's so much on some of these dialogs that it would be tricky to
shrink them without losing some of the usability.

 The Properties dialog at the moment seems to be constrained
vertically by the Labels tab for the General settings. It might be
possible to shrink this a bit by changing the placement radio buttons
to a combobox, and maybe shuffling a few things around a bit. I think
these dialogs all have .ui files in the Qgis source, so why not have a
play with Qt Designer and see if you can rearrange it all to fit on
your screen.

 You will probably need a big screen to use Qt Designer without pain though!

 Alternatively, there's some help on coping with big windows on small
screens on the eee here:

 - which seems to say there's a gconftool setting that needs tweaking,
and then you should be able to Alt-Mouse-1 Drag windows anywhere...

Barry