[Qgis-developer] Plugins approval

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Tue Jan 7 05:38:40 PST 2014

On 01/07/2014 02:29 PM, Jonathan Moules wrote:

>      I remember, I discussed another key "website" with Borys, which
>     would be shown in a frame in the plugin description page. This
>     could be used to show even pictures in a description. Or we could
>     just embed the URL listed in homepage.
>

> If I'm understanding correctly, you're proposing that the explanations
> etc be hosted online? From what I've picked up reading the lists and
> elsewhere, QGIS is used in quite a few instances in locations where
> internet access is lacking or merely unreliable. I think any
> help/explanation should be integrated and distributed with the software.

Good point. Not necessarily, a get started text could be saved in the
metadata as well. Or alternatively an html folder structure.

Or maybe a combination of on- and offline, so as long as the plugin is
not installed, it would be loaded on-demand, so we don't need to
transfer everything everytime we check for updates, but as soon as the
plugin is installed it is loaded offline for machines without internet
access.

But these are just ideas, I don't have any strong opinion about this (yet).

>     So I would not say "anything to fix that" is a good approach
>
> A poor choice of words on my part. Obviously a good fix is preferable
> to. :-)

No worries, I just want to be sure we don't need to switch methods again
in a couple of months ;-)

Best
Matthias