[Qgis-developer] A couple of ideas for QGIS

roy roy royroge at outlook.com
Tue Apr 4 02:27:21 PDT 2017

Thanks Mattias for the info,

I do not have a predetermined preference
between geopackage and spatialite

if you don't mind,

i do not know very well the gpkg format but
I understand that it's not spatialite.

I'd like to understand the pros or cons
between the two formats

does geopackage support:

-SQLite SQL language with triggers
joins aggregate etc..

-SQL spatial query

-coordinate tranformation

-SQL VIEWS

-non spatial tables

-i mean is it a fully featured database
or does it uses another language ?

-High level difference beetween geopackage
and spatialite?

I can grasp spatialite in 5 min knowing
that i'ts a fully featured SQL relational database
but cannot wrap my head around geopackage:

"GeoPackage Encoding Standard governs the rules and requirements of content
stored in a GeoPackage container" ...so is geopackage a set of rules on
how data
should be store into an SQLite database?

in the end (for now) i find spatialite much more
intuitive and i think QGIS would benefit
supporting at least point 1 (drop column from spatialite)

thanks for any insight, Roy.