[Qgis-developer] Proposal - Change mIconProjectionEnable/Disable Icons

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:11:25 PST 2017

Hi Tim

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:

> Hi
>

> On 16 Jan 2017, at 7:11 AM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What about a cross out though the icon, to show not enabled?
>

> When I was originally working on on the fly projection support a long time
> ago I added that icon so you could en/disable OTF in case OTF had some side
> effects. Many years have passed and I would guess there isn't much reason
> to ever have OTF disabled. Does anyone still have a use case for this? If
> not, why don't we just make it permanently enabled? And then use the
> project properties icon in greyscale down in the status bar (which I still
> find pretty convenient to have there).

Agreed - things will get easier if OTF is always enabled.

If we do such change, I would suggest that we allow layers to have unknown
CRS. Right now all layers are forced to have a valid CRS - if not, a dialog
to choose CRS will be shown or a default CRS would be assigned. Allowing
unknown CRS would basically exclude a particular layer from any OTF
reprojections. There could be a small warning icon in the layer tree next
to layers with undefined CRS to make user aware of the problem. I really
don't like the fact we force people choose CRS for layers even if they do
not know it (and popup dialogs are not very nice UX anyway).

Cheers
Martin