[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Server request extra parameters as variables for expressions

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Nov 24 02:45:11 PST 2017

On 11/24/2017 11:02 AM, René-Luc Dhont wrote:
> @Arnaud:
>
> There is no WMS dimensions in QGIS server roadmap
>
> @Richard:
>
> Which one of the three GeoServer implementation is the more 'common'
> way ?
>

> To my point of view, having the capability to update QGIS Variables
> through HTTP parameters will be a great enhancement.

For the configuration part, it would be best to explicitly list
variables that are meant to be modified in the server options. Basically
adding a new Server scope to the expressions which is applied after
global and project scope. The interface would be the same table the one
already available for global, project, layer... scope, just in the OWS tab.

This should then be available to filter, style, or otherwise prepare
raster, vector or other data without further ado.

How this is then exposed to webservices is a different question, to
which I agree that it would be best to build it on top of existing
protocols (dimensions or whatever else is around).

Best regards
Matthias